How Would Your Business Change If You Could Warm Up Any Cold Email Into A Raving Fan & Customer?
According to research by gigaom.com, 86% of marketers use e-mail marketing as the most effective method for awareness building, lead acquisition, sales conversion and customer retention.
All it takes is following a few key principles and at the end I’ll give you a checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything.
These are the exact same tactics that I used to literally turn millions of cold emails into loyal fan bases that eagerly and routinely buy products I offer.
STEP ONE: Re-Engage Your Cold Leads
Before you start sending a bunch of emails to your cold leads, you need to re-engage them. Content is the way to go but how do you decide what content to send?
- Assume they would like to hear from you, what type of content would they like to receive from you?
The content needs to be so magnetic and compelling that it makes a virtual certainty that they want to hear from you.
- What format do they want to digest this content in?
To successfully re-engage your cold leads, you MUST give them content they want to hear, they would like to receive and that they can easily digest.
Time to Make a Second Impression
“You only get one chance at a first impression”. But, when re-engaging your leads you have the luxury of a second chance…
…so it is VITAL that you make it a good one. Don’t screw it up.
Here are some techniques to do this:
- Give cold leads the opportunity to re-opt in to your list by promising them recent, industry-relevant and interesting information if they do. Give insight into future email content to intrigue and tantalise them.
- Tell them you have missed them and not heard from them recently.
- Remind them that you are not unfamiliar and that you have had interaction before and remind them what the interaction was (did they sign up on your site? did you meet at an industry event?)
This lets them know that you want action from them (you haven’t heard from THEM, not the other way around) and that you welcome them back.
- Give a list of links to previous information they have missed so they can discover what kind of information they can expect from you. The topics they click through to will also give a great indication of the type of content they are interested in.
- Survey your leads for their opinion. The results will make them feel like you’ve been friends for a long time (even if they never heard from you beforehand).
The first emails will define all future interactions and results, so take some time to get it right.
STEP TWO: Warm Up Your Leads
Now that you have your re-engagement emails sent, let’s move onto the content you will follow up with.
Aside from content topics, there are 4 critical fundamentals to use in all your post-warm up emails.
- Set out to re-engagement emails before any type of promotional content
- Decide relevant topic(s)
- Research content – recent facts, figure, references
- Write the warm up emails following the 8 principles above
- Hit send!